HVFCo: Fatal Accident on Route 81

By Olivia Drake, HVFCo. Public Information Officer.

Haddam Volunteer firefighters worked quickly and diligently to extricate two victims involved in a motor vehicle accident Oct. 11, 2018 on Killingworth Road. One patient later succumbed to his injuries and died.

Shortly before 5:00 p.m., Haddam Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched to a head-on collision with entrapment near Hubbard Road and Soobitsky Drive. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered two patients with serious injuries pinned inside their vehicles. Both drivers were wearing seat belts and air bags were deployed. Each vehicle encountered severe damage with more than 1 foot of intrusion into the drivers’ compartments.

Both vehicles were chocked, stabilized and secured. Firefighters first deployed Hurst rescue tools to the vehicle housing the most critical patient, who was heading southbound on Killingworth Road at the time of the accident. After removing the driver’s side doors, center pillar and dash, crews were able to rapidly extricate the patient. LIFE STAR, Hartford Hospital’s critical care helicopter was requested but was unable to respond due to poor weather. The patient, who was pending traumatic arrest, was sent to Hartford Hospital via Haddam Volunteer Ambulance Service. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The other patient, who was heading northbound on Killingworth Road, was trapped under the brake pedal. Firefighters used rescue tools to remove the driver’s side door and roof, and they attempted to cut the pedal, however, were unsuccessful due to a limited area to work. Ultimately, crews carefully lifted, or “rolled” the dash to free the patient’s legs. The patient was loaded onto a backboard and removed through the rear of the vehicle. She was transported to Hartford Hospital by Hunter’s Ambulance.

During the incident, the road was closed and traffic was rerouted southbound to Pokorny Road, and northbound to Bartman Road. HVFC cleared the call at 7:05 p.m. and turned the incident over to the Connecticut State Police for vehicle removal, accident reconstruction and further investigation. The road remained closed for several hours following the incident.

Posted in Haddam Ambulance, HVFCo and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .


  1. Really wish CT DOT would re-evaluate this section of Rt 81; there are far too many serious accidents occurring there.

  2. I really wish people would drive the posted speed limit, pay attention to their surroundings and adjust their driving depending on weather conditions.

Comments are closed.