HVFCo: Kitchen Fire on Old Ponsett Road

By Olivia Drake, HVFCo. Public Information Officer.

On January 8, 2019, Haddam Volunteer Fire Company responded to a reported appliance/structure fire on Old Ponsett Road.

The homeowner realized that he had left cooking oil heating on the stove, which ignited and set off smoke detectors in his home. He immediately called 9-1-1 and reported a stove fire in his kitchen.

Upon arrival, firefighters first helped the elderly gentleman exit his home and EMS personnel evaluated him on the scene. Inside, firefighters used compressed foam and minimal water from Engine 6-13 to extinguish the fire, which had spread to the wall behind the range, upper wooden cabinets, and a vent fan unit. Firefighters pulled the range away from the wall, and opened the wall and ceiling to check for extension. They also removed the burning vent fan unit from the home.

Firefighters vented the smoke-filled home by opening windows and Engine 6’s positive pressure fan.

A family member is providing the homeowner care until his home is deemed safe.

Killingworth Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid at the scene. Durham, Haddam Neck, Chester and Middletown South District were requested but canceled in route. The Haddam Fire Marshal also arrived on scene to investigate.

Posted in HVFCo, KVFCo and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .